The Sonnet Man, brilliant rap artist Devon Glover, sets Shakespeare’s love sonnets to Hip Hop to both entertain and educate. Conceived and produced by Broadway Playwright Arje Shaw, The Sonnet Man brings Shakespeare to young audiences in a genre they know and love, which introduces young people to classical literature, raises literacy, improves communication, creates greater enthusiasm for learning, increases creativity, raises confidence, and sets a foundation for the appreciation of the arts.
Through Hip Hop, Shakespeare is exciting and fun. The Sonnet Man is perfect for schools, theaters, and organizations. Featured artist Devon Glover delivers the sonnets as originally written, and then breaks it down into “spoken word.” Mr. Glover’s flow embodies the richness of Shakespeare’s language, and his passionate, yet natural delivery offers an inspiring, creative experience audiences love.
Mr. Glover’s story is an inspiration in itself. Born and raised along with two brothers by a single mom in Brooklyn, he strives to make something of himself and to give back to his community. He went through the New York City Public School system and is a graduate of Ithaca College. Mr. Glover teaches and conducts workshops/performances in Harlem, Queens, Brooklyn as well as teaching nationally and internationally in England, Canada, Netherlands, Bermuda, Prague, and more. He performed The Sonnet Man in Negril, Jamaica by special invitation from the Board of Education in the Soul Rebellion Hip Hop Festival.
Devon Glover was featured on The Today Show and received tremendous national response. The producer said, “I’ve never had so many emails from people saying how much they enjoyed the story and especially the song!” Watch the clip from The Today Show.
His Hamlet music video was an official selection of the Shakespeare Film Festival in Stratford, England.
PerformancesAudiences of all ages and sizes love The Sonnet Man. Hear the brilliant, soulful, inspirational sounds of Shakespeare's sonnets set to hip hop. For festivals, events, and more.
WorkshopsA more intimate, classroom setting. Students learn the basics. Teachers learn a new spin on teaching theater, writing, literature, and other topics. For Conferences, classes, and more.
AssembliesPerformances that entertain, educate and inspire. Learn about Shakespeare, Sonnets, and much more. An inspiring, creative experience. For K-12 Schools.
For more booking information about
347.331.3813 - email@example.com
Devon works with students, teachers and theatres all over the world.
- 10/05/10 - Corneila Street Cafe, New York, NY
- 01/06/11 - NBC's The Today Show, New York, NY
- 01/14/11 - The Triad, New York, NY
- 02/12/11 - Valentine's Day Show@ The Jackson Theater, Queens, NY
- 03/12-18/11 - Soul Rebellion (NEET Program), Negril, Jamaica
- 02/14/12 - Valentine's Day Show @ Don't Tell Mama, New York, NY
- 03/16-18/12 - Soul Rebellion (NEET Program), Negril, Jamaica
- 04/16/12 - The College Of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
- 04/29/12 - Nuyorican Poets Cafe, New York, NY
- 06/29/12 - Friday Night Music Series @ MCU Park (Brooklyn Cyclones), Brooklyn,NY
- 04/30-05/03/13, CAT Student Shakespeare Festival, New York, NY
- 07/21/13 - St. Lawrence Shakespeare Festival, Prescott, ON (Canada)
- 09/25/13 - UNITED Conference, Univ. of Northern Michigan, Marquette, MI
- 10/13/13 - Los Angeles Drama Club, The Magic Castle, Los Angeles, CA
- 11/04/13 – Salty Shakespeare/Richard III, Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, CA
- 11/18-22/13 - Discover Week**, Natrona County School District, Casper, WY
- 12/11/13, King Edward VI School, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
- 12/12/13, X-Mas Show @ The Shakespeare Institute-University of Birmingham, Stratford, UK
- 03/15/14, Salty Shakespeare @ STAR Schools, Los Angeles, CA
- 03/18-21/14, CAT Student Shakespeare Festival, New York, NY
- 04/13/14, LA Times Festival of Books, Los Angeles, CA
- 04/22/14, Corneila Street Cafe w/ Ellen Mandel, New York, NY
- 04/22/14, Camden County Youth Center, Blackwood, NJ
- 04/25/14, Rushmore Ave Elementary School, Carle Place, NY
- 05/06-07/14, Rapping Up REBEL 2014, Mississauga, ON (Canada)
- 05/30/14, Lunchtime Listen Show @ West Harlem Piers Park, Harlem, NY
- 06/11/14, The Green Show @ The Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Ashland, OR
- 07/09-12/14, Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Stratford, ON
- 10/03/14, Shakespeare on the Green @ Brown University, Providence, RI
- 11/17-23/14, The Hague Shakespeare Fringe, Hague, Netherlands
- 11/25-26/14, Prague Shakespeare Company, Prague, Czech Republic
- 01/16-18/15, Tennessee Thespian Conference, Nashville, TN
- 10/1-2/15 Stratford Teachers' Confrence Stratford, ON (Canada)
- 10/16/15 ’74 n Sunny (With Arje Shaw) Berkeley, CA
- 10/18-23/15 Residency in Detroit (with Stratford Shakespeare) Detroit, MI
- 10/31-11/1/15 Shakespeare Short Film Festival Stratford-upon-Avon, UK